The progression of our site was relatively smooth throughout the semester. After we met with Carolyn Parsons from the library archives room, we quickly set to work choosing which pictures we wanted to include on our site. We discussed choosing pictures that all fit one category like having all black and white then pictures, or pictures from a certain decade, or those that reflected a certain theme. In the end, we decided to choose past pictures of residence and academic buildings on campus that are still relevant today and were not built within the last five years, and pictures that depicted scenes from academic and general student life. This decision was also heavily influenced after meeting Shannon Hauser who was working on a similar project that focused mostly on buildings on campus. We wanted to incorporate much more than just buildings because of her project and the UMW buildings blog that already existed. We chose also to only focus on the university campus rather than branching out into the Fredericksburg community as a whole for cohesiveness as the project could lose its focus if it was stretched too far. The most exciting part, at least for me, was choosing which pictures we wanted to include on the site. Looking through the Centennial Collection on the library’s archives websites was fascinating. I loved seeing UMW from the past and our archives are stocked with amazing pictures. We started by assigning categories to everyone in the group, such as residence building, academic life, social events, etc. By a certain date, we submitted our chosen pictures for these categories on dropbox and then went through as a group to determine which pictures we liked best. After these pictures were chosen, we assigned buildings and locations to everyone in the group, organized in a “master list” for which I was responsible, as well as events. Taking the “now” pictures was a fun process and excluding the time it took to get roof access, was accomplished relatively quickly. The most time consuming portion of the project was the written description that needed to accompany every picture. The Crawley book that we used for most of our citations could be checked out at the library for two hours at a time. A process that I did not enjoy one bit. Thankfully, Jess and Carly were able to get their own copies so we were not all fighting over the reserved ones at the library. Because of this, we did not meet one of our checkpoints, but it was quickly remedied.
We followed our contract every step of the way. The division of labor helped our project run smoothly and quickly. The aspect of the Then and Now group of which I am most proud, is that from the beginning, we achieved all the goals we set for ourselves. We never had to compromise on our projections and goals for our project, we accomplished all of them. When it came to meeting our checkpoints, we met them all on time (except for one) which led to our joking self-classification as the “boring” group during class presentations since we didn’t have an issues to report. Our site is a great reflection of all our hard work and I know that each and every one of us is incredibly proud of it.